Liz Bernstein Announces Candidacy for Martin County School Board
Hobe Sound, Fla. - Liz Bernstein, a native Floridian and proud product of the Martin County public school system, has announced her candidacy for the Martin County School Board.
She is running for the District 3 seat being vacated by Victoria Defenthaler, who was elected to the School Board in 2018 after serving as a teacher and principal for more than four decades in Martin County schools.
Bernstein’s inspiration for running is to give back to the community where she grew up and promote student success in the 21st century.
“I believe we have the foundation of an excellent school system,” Bernstein says, “but to maintain and improve the level of excellence that our community has come to expect, we need parents, students, teachers, administrators, area businesses and the board to work as partners on behalf of our children. We need to all be rowing in the same direction.”
Bernstein holds business degrees in finance and economics from the University of Central Florida and a master’s degree in economic policy from Boston University. After a career as an economist for the Bureau of Economic Analysis, she returned to Martin County with her husband and started her own small business teaching yoga, Pilates, and meditation.
“My priority is the well-being of all students,” Bernstein says, “and ensuring we have the supportive community that is needed for each child to learn and thrive. As a school board, we must also exercise fiscal discipline, be accountable to the taxpayers in our county, and be driven by data and common sense. We must move away from the polarizing political agendas that are undermining the effectiveness of the school board.”
“Liz Bernstein is the right person at the right time to serve on the Martin County School Board,” said current School Board member Victoria Defenthaler, who is not seeking reelection. “I have seen her energy, empathy, commitment and integrity in working for a cause bigger than herself. With her passion for kids coupled with her impressive financial background, she’ll bring great skills to the complicated issues that our School Board faces. Her campaign slogan really says it all - a vote for Liz is a vote for kids,” Defenthaler added.
For more information about Liz Bernstein and her priorities, visit her website at www.liz4kids.com or follow her on Facebook or Instagram, @Liz4Kids22. You can also reach her by phone at 772-341-4884 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More about Liz
Professional Career & Community Involvement
- Economist at the Bureau of Economic Analysis, National Income and Wealth Division
- Research Economist, Office of the Chief Economist, Bureau of Economic Analysis
- Owner, Soulful Elephant Yoga
- Busch Wildlife Sanctuary youth education volunteer
- One Love Prison Meditation Project volunteer at Martin County Correctional Institution
- IFAS (Institute of Food and Agriculture Sciences at UF) Freshwater course
- Hidden Oaks Middle School
- Martin County High School
- University of Central Florida: Bachelor of Science in Business Administration/Finance and Bachelor of Science in Business Administration/Economics
- Boston University: Masters in Economic Policy
- Student Success for citizenship in the 21st century
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Local Control with parental collaboration